Saturday, April 23, 2011

Goodbye Circus darts, Hello Tungsten

After a full year (my whole career thus far) of training with sensei & competition league play, I am saying goodbye to my first set of darts. These darts have been good to me, in fact I'd call them great but in the end science has convinced me I must relieve then of their duty.

As the 25 year dart veteran and Nandi Warrior put it " those are circus darts, no weight, too fat & too long just bullS@%*#"

It turns out there is a lot more to dart flight characteristics than meets the eye, or at least my eye. Supposedly I have been handicapping myself by using this silly darts I bought at Dicks Sporting Goods; which was the logical place I went looking for darts that innocent day a year ago. Little did I know places like Dartworld.com and amazon were stocked full with mesmerizing amounts of varieties and styles. I dunno, I liked the simple experience at Dicks, with only 1 choice for steel tipped darts that reassured me "these must be right."

Well my new darts are here, they are heavy, skinny & short with tails that spin (ooh aah). It will take a bit of time to get used to but so far they feel good and I'm shooting well. I guess I'll never know if the darts actually work better or if my anticipation and dedication to science are forcing me to succeed, to live the prophecy I created for myself. In the end it doesn't matter! I'm a better player.

No comments: